I love
the architecture and beauty of ancient cathedrals and I have visited scores of
them from Jerusalem to Rome. I deeply appreciate the dedication, piety and
sacrifice these edifices represent from believers long ago. Yet even the
simplest gathering place for worship can become a stained glass masquerade, where
we think our personal spiritual experience somehow impacts the world around us. Frankly, nothing
much can be seen through stained glass windows. Too often, pious people believe
others will be transformed by the quality of our worship experiences, but
transformational revival always happens face to face at the water cooler, at
the game, by the bedside, in the café. Lord, let your light shine through my
life both in the sanctuary and in the streets.
A serious pursuit of godliness requires an equally serious renunciation of worldliness. Too often, we measure spirituality with false scales. While being wisely selective with our public vices we are less so with our private attitudes and perspectives. In reality, it is the thoughts and intents of the heart where the greatest battles must be waged; our actions will ultimately align with the condition of our hearts. Lord God, You know me inside out, You are not fooled by human facades. Plow my heart with Your Word and Spirit and leave nothing unturned. Refresh my inward man that I may outwardly glorify You in all places at all times.
Comments
Post a Comment