I awake
today just steps from the Jaffa Gate in Jerusalem. On my mind this morning is
my first ascent into the Holy City many years ago. It surprised me how she is
spread over deep valleys and poised atop peaks and ridges. Then I remembered
the biblical declaration: “as surely as the mountains surround Jerusalem, the
LORD surrounds His people”. Though the proud and deceived wish to divide her,
control her or destroy her, she will forever be held in God’s hands. Lord God
Almighty, Lover of My Soul, I pray for the peace of Jerusalem and the safety of
its inhabitants as they traverse its hallowed streets. I pray that Your people
everywhere in every corner of the earth will know and trust Your promises and
surrounding love.
A serious pursuit of godliness requires an equally serious renunciation of worldliness. Too often, we measure spirituality with false scales. While being wisely selective with our public vices we are less so with our private attitudes and perspectives. In reality, it is the thoughts and intents of the heart where the greatest battles must be waged; our actions will ultimately align with the condition of our hearts. Lord God, You know me inside out, You are not fooled by human facades. Plow my heart with Your Word and Spirit and leave nothing unturned. Refresh my inward man that I may outwardly glorify You in all places at all times.
Comments
Post a Comment