When
questioned about his diminishing role, John the Forerunner declared: “I must
decrease, He must increase”. Combined with the words of King David: “You shall
enlarge my heart” we discover a spiritual principle; every day requires
additional constraint and fresh release. As a jellyfish moves through the
water, expanding and contracting, so we move through life. This process is
disconcerting to the uninformed, but to the spiritually awakened, this routine
becomes a welcomed process since it is a sign of forward progress.
Unwillingness to accept necessary shrinkage or fear of expansion leaves us to
simply drift along with the surrounding current, eventually casting us onto the
dry shore. Lord I love Your ways and praise You that You do not leave me
trapped in stagnation. Open, close, I’m good with that.
A serious pursuit of godliness requires an equally serious renunciation of worldliness. Too often, we measure spirituality with false scales. While being wisely selective with our public vices we are less so with our private attitudes and perspectives. In reality, it is the thoughts and intents of the heart where the greatest battles must be waged; our actions will ultimately align with the condition of our hearts. Lord God, You know me inside out, You are not fooled by human facades. Plow my heart with Your Word and Spirit and leave nothing unturned. Refresh my inward man that I may outwardly glorify You in all places at all times.
Comments
Post a Comment