1 Corinthians 16:14 succinctly sums up what each of us must do our best to master, “Do everything in love”. And in 1 John 4:8 we read “Whoever does not love does not know God, because "God is love.” If considered together, these passages reveal that I cannot consistently act in love toward others without being “in love” with God, so the depth of my love for God can be accurately determined by measuring my love for others. And since “God so loved the world”, I must not selectively love only those I feel a connection to, I must love as God loves…without discrimination. Jesus commanded, “Jesus commanded, “Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you”. Wow. LORD of Love, purge my heart. Cleanse me of all indifference, bigotry, prejudice or hatred in any form. Teach me to love as You love.
A serious pursuit of godliness requires an equally serious renunciation of worldliness. Too often, we measure spirituality with false scales. While being wisely selective with our public vices we are less so with our private attitudes and perspectives. In reality, it is the thoughts and intents of the heart where the greatest battles must be waged; our actions will ultimately align with the condition of our hearts. Lord God, You know me inside out, You are not fooled by human facades. Plow my heart with Your Word and Spirit and leave nothing unturned. Refresh my inward man that I may outwardly glorify You in all places at all times.
Comments
Post a Comment