“And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord,” Joshua 24:15 ESV. Our daily challenge is to glorify the greatness of God while still imbedded in human frailty. Each new sunrise presents both opportunities and dilemmas. Will I now move farther away from wrongdoing and commit to greater devotion to godliness? Will I cut loose the many tethers to earthliness to embrace heavenly freedom? As Joshua commanded the people, so must I “choose this day” who I will serve. Father, I praise You for Your grace that delivers me from the thick darkness of doubt. I choose You. Grant me fresh faith to walk more perfectly in Your promises. LORD, in Your mercy, hear my prayer.
A serious pursuit of godliness requires an equally serious renunciation of worldliness. Too often, we measure spirituality with false scales. While being wisely selective with our public vices we are less so with our private attitudes and perspectives. In reality, it is the thoughts and intents of the heart where the greatest battles must be waged; our actions will ultimately align with the condition of our hearts. Lord God, You know me inside out, You are not fooled by human facades. Plow my heart with Your Word and Spirit and leave nothing unturned. Refresh my inward man that I may outwardly glorify You in all places at all times.
Comments
Post a Comment