While
praying for a friend who was struggling to breathe it dawned on me how much I
take air for granted. Truth be known, I take many things for granted. When
something I want or need is taken away my first reaction is almost always
frustration. I don’t intend to be so selfish but it lurks just underneath and rises
to the surface easily when I am denied something I expect to have available. Selfishness
is most often quietly hidden from others yet still loiters in the shadows and corrupts
my ability to be thankful. Honestly, it is so common to my ways I often cannot
see it without help. Precious Lord,
forgive my presumptuous ways. In Your might, tear down every stronghold of
selfishness within me. May gratitude flood my soul and be my constant
companion.
A serious pursuit of godliness requires an equally serious renunciation of worldliness. Too often, we measure spirituality with false scales. While being wisely selective with our public vices we are less so with our private attitudes and perspectives. In reality, it is the thoughts and intents of the heart where the greatest battles must be waged; our actions will ultimately align with the condition of our hearts. Lord God, You know me inside out, You are not fooled by human facades. Plow my heart with Your Word and Spirit and leave nothing unturned. Refresh my inward man that I may outwardly glorify You in all places at all times.
Comments
Post a Comment