The biblical story of Adam and Eve’s rebellion is often referred
to as: “The Fall of Man”. While it is true that there was a third party involved
in the temptation, the two of them were held accountable for their own decisions;
temptation is powerless without the willingness of the person who falls into
it. We downplay our own role by saying: “I fell in sin”, but in fact we are ALWAYS
complicit on some level. It is more honestly stated: “I fell head first with my
eyes wide open”. True repentance is admitting personal responsibility. The good
news is God is merciful to penitent hearts. LORD, please forgive my squirmy
attempts at self-justification. I do not want to abuse Your grace, help me to
align my ways with Your Will before falling.
A serious pursuit of godliness requires an equally serious renunciation of worldliness. Too often, we measure spirituality with false scales. While being wisely selective with our public vices we are less so with our private attitudes and perspectives. In reality, it is the thoughts and intents of the heart where the greatest battles must be waged; our actions will ultimately align with the condition of our hearts. Lord God, You know me inside out, You are not fooled by human facades. Plow my heart with Your Word and Spirit and leave nothing unturned. Refresh my inward man that I may outwardly glorify You in all places at all times.
Comments
Post a Comment