Have you ever noticed how many
times we connect the words “I need to” and “good”? For instance, “I need to
look good”, “I need to act good”. And then there are its siblings: “I need to
act nice, or friendly, or calm, or interested...the list goes on and on. Nothing
is ever perfect, so it takes a lot of work to put up a good front, but not for
the Perfect One. As the psalmist
proclaimed: “LORD You ARE good and Your mercies endure forever” and “You meet
(me) with goodness”. Again, he sang: “I will tell of Your goodness all day
long…I will proclaim Your goodness, Yours alone!” God never NEEDS to be good;
He is goodness personified, its very definition and source. LORD You are so good,
fill me with Your goodness that I may spill out Your glorious goodness to all
freely, unpretentiously and consistently.
A serious pursuit of godliness requires an equally serious renunciation of worldliness. Too often, we measure spirituality with false scales. While being wisely selective with our public vices we are less so with our private attitudes and perspectives. In reality, it is the thoughts and intents of the heart where the greatest battles must be waged; our actions will ultimately align with the condition of our hearts. Lord God, You know me inside out, You are not fooled by human facades. Plow my heart with Your Word and Spirit and leave nothing unturned. Refresh my inward man that I may outwardly glorify You in all places at all times.
Comments
Post a Comment