“He must increase, but I must decrease,” John 3:30 ESV. Jesus’ simple words stand in stark contrast to the spirit of this world, especially in the self-aggrandizing atmosphere of today’s culture. Self-generated humility simply will not work since it is nothing more than another form of seething pride. Notice the order of transformation set by this passage; it does not begin by decreasing self; it begins by INCREASING HIM! The more God is genuinely exalted in and through our lives, the less our pride gets in the way. However, we can still fall into the “spiritual pride trap" that comes from taking credit for how much God is exalted through us. LORD, cleanse my soul of pride and show me how I may lift you higher with genuine humility. O Glorious One, You must increase, I must decrease.
A serious pursuit of godliness requires an equally serious renunciation of worldliness. Too often, we measure spirituality with false scales. While being wisely selective with our public vices we are less so with our private attitudes and perspectives. In reality, it is the thoughts and intents of the heart where the greatest battles must be waged; our actions will ultimately align with the condition of our hearts. Lord God, You know me inside out, You are not fooled by human facades. Plow my heart with Your Word and Spirit and leave nothing unturned. Refresh my inward man that I may outwardly glorify You in all places at all times.
Comments
Post a Comment