“A rebuke goes deeper into a man of understanding than a hundred blows into a fool,” Proverbs 17:10 ESV. Even when offered with mixed motives, criticism is a huge motivator for my self-examination and for making the needed changes it exposes. I do not like to be critiqued, but I have learned that my personal development has been propelled by it and that criticism and unsolicited advice are vital components of my growth process. “Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future,” Proverbs 19:20 ESV. When I am criticized, my first instinct is to criticize the critic, but there is no benefit by going down that path. In fact, criticism is more often than not, a glimpse into reality. It may sting, but it is actually a kind gift. Father, I welcome Your transforming power, delivered by whatever means You choose. I am earnestly thankful for the stripping away of every weakness or flaw that I may fully reflect Your Glory.
A serious pursuit of godliness requires an equally serious renunciation of worldliness. Too often, we measure spirituality with false scales. While being wisely selective with our public vices we are less so with our private attitudes and perspectives. In reality, it is the thoughts and intents of the heart where the greatest battles must be waged; our actions will ultimately align with the condition of our hearts. Lord God, You know me inside out, You are not fooled by human facades. Plow my heart with Your Word and Spirit and leave nothing unturned. Refresh my inward man that I may outwardly glorify You in all places at all times.
Comments
Post a Comment