“And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching,” Luke 10:38-30 ESV. Both Martha and Mary were good women who loved Jesus. They both sat at his feet to learn. When Martha did the right thing by inviting Jesus into their home, and working hard to take care of their many guests, Mary did the right thing by staying at His feet, riveted with the truth she was receiving. It is entirely possible to be doing the right thing personally yet still create bad feelings in others. Frankly, we do it all the time. Sometimes I’m considered to be a “Martha” in the opinion of others, other times I’m seen as a “Mary”. I’m thankful for this very personal and revealing story being in the bible. I should keep it in mind when I find myself on either side of these kinds of circumstances. LORD, help me rightly discern the moment and deliver me from wrongful personal comparisons of others.
A serious pursuit of godliness requires an equally serious renunciation of worldliness. Too often, we measure spirituality with false scales. While being wisely selective with our public vices we are less so with our private attitudes and perspectives. In reality, it is the thoughts and intents of the heart where the greatest battles must be waged; our actions will ultimately align with the condition of our hearts. Lord God, You know me inside out, You are not fooled by human facades. Plow my heart with Your Word and Spirit and leave nothing unturned. Refresh my inward man that I may outwardly glorify You in all places at all times.
Comments
Post a Comment